I began with sending them some sketches of possible cover ideas. These were pulled from various scenes in the book.
Scholastic liked the one with the alien bursting through the ground and asked me to develop that further. I drew up three more designs and sent them over.
After seeing those they decided to just stick with the original idea and I went ahead and inked it. I inked the background separate from Missile Mouse so my art director Phil Falco would have more freedom in designing and placing the title.
With inks finished and approved I colored it. Below is the color I sent to them. They liked it but felt it was a little too dark for a kids book. A couple color adjustments were made and if you want to see the final for print click over to the link on amazon here.